Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement



Myanmar coup: Casualties rise as police step up crackdown


Myanmar coup Casualties rise as police step up crackdown

Violent crackdown on anti-insurgency protesters in Myanmar began on Sunday with police using live rounds, rubber bullets and tear gas.

Despite the police response, protests continue in cities such as Yangon, Mandalay and Davao.

There are reports of casualties, although it is difficult to confirm.

Protests have erupted in the country since the army ousted and detained senior government leaders, including Aung San Suu Kyi, on February 1.

Social media footage released on Sunday showed police fleeing as accusations were leveled against them, temporary barricades were set up, and several people were covered in blood.

The police crackdown, which began in full swing on Saturday, was extended when rebel leaders sought to end a large-scale peaceful civil disobedience campaign that showed no sign of ending.

What is happening on the ground?

After Yangon, the largest city in the grenade failed to disperse the demonstrators and the police shot tear gas failure. Photos on social media showed blood on the streets as fellow protesters helped people.

A doctor told Reuters that a man had died in hospital after being shot in the chest.

Protesters were denied entry despite some obstructions.

"If they press us, we will stand up. If they attack us, we will defend ourselves. We will never kneel in front of military boots," Nyan Wen-sheen told Reuters.

Another police officer told AFP: "Police opened fire as soon as we arrived. They did not say a word of warning. Some were injured and some teachers were still hiding in neighboring houses."

Police removed the protesters were in the police van.

In the southeastern city of Daoui, security forces mobilized to break up a rally.

There are reports of direct round use. At least one person was killed and more than a dozen were injured, the Dewey Watch media outlet said. An emergency worker told Reuters there had been three deaths and more were feared dead.

Police crack was also put on a big rally in Mandalay, where police used water cannon and fired in the air.

Protests are also taking place in other places, including the northeastern town of Lashio.

The number of arrests has not been confirmed since the protests began. The Aid Association's Political Prisoners Monitoring Group puts the number at 850, but it looks like hundreds more have been detained this weekend.

Where is Aung San Suu Kyi?

Myanmar's civilian leader has not been seen in public since he was detained in the capital, Nay Pyi Taw, following the uprising.

His supporters and many in the international community have called for his release and the restoration of the November election results, in which his National League for Democracy party won a landslide victory.
Ms Sochi is due to face trial on Monday on charges of possessing an unregistered walkie-talkie and violating coronavirus rules. But his lawyer says he is unable to speak to her.

Rejecting the election committee's claim, military leaders justified the seizure of power by accusing it of massive electoral fraud.

The uprising outside Myanmar has been widely condemned, with sanctions imposed on the military and other condolence measures.

Post a Comment